Wednesday, February 29, 1984

Letter from Dan Routly, Death Row Inmate, 29th February, 1984, Starke, Florida

Letter from Dan Routly, Death Row Inmate in Starke, Florida, 29th February 1984. Note: Transcription below each page, some pages didn't fully fit on scanner so the bottoms of those pages are separate scans and the transcription continues from where the prior page's scan cut off.

Feb. 29, 1984 (1:53 a.m.)
Dear Laura,
Hi, received your letter and am staying up, waiting on the movie that comes on at 3 o'clock, so... figured I'd do some writing to you, so I can mail this out this week. First of all, let me tell you, I really like how your letter's smell - I love it! (I'm thinking about putting them in my pillow!) (smile doodle)
Not too much has been going on, here, I've been expecting these people to come around with the paint, to paint this cell. I've had my stuff put away but... I put it back out 'cause they haven't showed up. I got a letter, from the Michicgan lawyer (not too good) - but ... it's because of the Florida lawyer that I'm a bit irate, presently. I need to write him, 'cause he's telling me one thing & doing something completely different. That's not gonna get it, with me! He's got to get right, or get off the case. I can't aford him acting like he is 
(over)


I was going to write him today - but ... I'm gonna have to cool down, before I approach him. I've gotten him made before & he takes it out on my case! And... I definitely, don't need that! (smile doodle) 
You're a video games freak, too, huh? I'm not too good, with the electronic ones, but ... I get off on the pin-ball set-ups!
I'd like to see you, with your hair down past your knee's - I really like a woman with long hair, your's is great, the length it is, it's beautiful. But... if I saw you with hair down past your knees, I'd probably fall-out, where-ever I was - 'cause, it's a real weakness I have - a woman's hair. (That's a secret confession!) (smile doodle) (I like long hair, myself, on me, I just think that if a person can take care of it - it's okay to have.) But ... a woman, it's natural & beauty, and style only add's to her beauty!

This is the newspaper photo-copy I got zeroxed, here. Hope that you can get an idea, from it - til I can get one taken, here. (Though... I'm not allowed to have the beard or length in hair due to regulation's). (smile doodle) (This was taken during the "face the verdict" - at the trial). My youngest sister might come see me, so I could get you some pictures, then - (plus, I'm still trying to talk this counselor into getting it approved, to get pictures taken outside of the visiting area) - so ... I'll keep working, 'til I do get something worked out - okay?
You'd have to be priorly approved on my visiting list, before you could "come by & say hi" - (that's more, regulation's). I've been in here, since November '80, after a 12/79 arrest. Don't know when I'm getting out it depend's on the up-coming rehearing motion. I try to keep busy, (true... it sometimes does get boring - that's when I don't like to talk to anyone - 'cause I'll get real frustrated, with tension). But I can always find something to read

(continuation from bottom of above page due to scanner issue)
I've been thinking about doing some painting. I'm not real good - but ... it does occupy time. Sometimes I'll get wrapped-up in legal writing/reading and ... that'll take day's of time. There
(over)
4.
way's to keep busy if a person want's to.  When they stop caring, (especially about themself, if they don't have someone to care about) then I've seen guys go & kill themself. Some "just" go crazy. My mind doesn't think with weakness though, so... I endure, a bit better now, since writing you. (smile doodle) I appreciate hearing about your activities at school, as well as with your family. It mean's a great deal, to sit and ponder about an active life, beyond the surroundings I see, daily - know what I mean? Truthfully, I'd shut myself off, from communicating, for over a year, and am really glad I sought to change that self-isolation, and come to write and receive your letter's. What amazes me, is that you hvae time for writing, beyond your
(continuation from bottom of above page due to scanner issue)
school studies. And ... you make me smile (smile doodle) and feel good!
Please don't ever doubt that I highly respect your time & coming to know you.
Gotta go - for now -
Take special care -
Dan
Letter from Dan E. Routly, Florida Death Row Inmate, postmarked in Jacksonville, Florida on 1st March 1984

No comments:

Post a Comment